NMEA0183 in / out devices

Home Forums General Feedback NMEA0183 in / out devices

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  tmcdonagh 2 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

tugadagio
    Participant

Will iKommunicate send NMEA0183 data it receives from a 0183 device back out to another 0183 device?

tugadagio
    Participant

To clarify what I am trying to accomplish: I have a VHF DSC radio that needs GPS signal. GPS sensor is N2k and a second GPS sensor is built into the chartplotter which has both N2k and 0183 inputs/outputs. The radio will also be transmitting DSC data out.

Will iKommunicate do all this or will I still need multiplexor / gateway?

Paul Sumpner
    Keymaster

iKommunicate was primarily designed to convert NMEA data to SignalK and it is not the universal panacea for all interfacing solutions.

There are so many different NMEA0183 and NMEA2000 installations/combinations that a product would require a significant level of flexibility and custom configuration.

That said, where possible, we would like iKommunicate to be as useful an interfacing solution as possible and when I am back in the office next week I will confirm whether we can provide position to your NMEA0183 DSC radio, I think we can if it accepts GLL but I do not have my notes to hand and want to check.

Best regards
    Paul Sumpner

tugadagio
    Participant

Hope your vacation was good.

Still wondering if I can transmit N2k data or N0183 (from chartplotter) out to N0183 to provide GLL to my VHF and to another device?

So far I am disappointed in iK capabilities.

Paul Sumpner
    Keymaster

Hi Tugadagio,

Currently we output NMEA0183 data on to the Ethernet network via UDP or TCP but not on the physical NMEA0183 Serial Ports. Your request for outputting of GPS data for your VHF DSC radio makes perfect sense but we need to do a more complete implementation, providing a means of selecting what sentences are output and ensuring that we do not saturate the bandwidth of the Output Port if set to 4800 baud.

I discussed this with our engineers and I have asked them to consider a couple of implementations and they are going to come back with estimates of the technical work involved and time required to complete the work.

So I cannot give you an immediate solution, but I will be adding this to our development schedule when my engineers give me their findings.

Best regards

PAUL SUMPNER

winocean
    Participant

Hi Paul

I may have misunderstood, but are you saying that NO NMEA0183 sentences are sent to the NMEA0183 out ports from iKommunicate AT ALL?

I have just retrofitted my iKommunicate unit to my existing NMEA 0183 network, and would like to add a vote for the NMEA 0183 out functionality.
    Since the only “NMEA 0183 out” port on my instrument server was occupied by my DSC radio, I had to disconnect my VHF, connect the server output to the iKommunicate NMEA input, and add the VHF to iKommunicate’s “NMEA 0183 out” wires.

So far the VHF reports no GPS signal from either of NMEA 0183 #1 or #2 outputs even with the “enable” ticker on the Admin page “NMEA OUTPUT” enabled.

Since the VHF and safety critical equipment is prioritized, I cannot hookup the iKommunicate unit until this feature is enabled.

Frankly, the software should inform on the Admin page that none of the NMEA 0183 ports are working rather than making me believe that they are in the firmware revision I have (from 8th june). The operating and installation manual should also not recommend to connect to either of the outputs unless these are supported in the software and are working (this could have avoided hours of frustrating troubleshooting).

If you would like to hit the broad market of retrofit to NMEA 0183 yachts, you will in many cases have to support passing NMEA 0183 sentences out.

Best regards
    Carl

Paul Sumpner
    Keymaster

Hi Carl,

You have made a good argument for NMEA0183 Output and are actually “preaching to the converted” as we want to include this feature in iKommunicate, but need to work out an implementation that is easy to support, satisfies at least 80% of installations and does not impact on performance.

This is what I am working on with our engineers at the moment and once I have a solution, I will schedule the code development for later this year.

Best regards
    PAUL

winocean
    Participant

Thanks your reply, Paul

I am looking forward to the further development of software for the iKommunicate unit.

By the way I was plesantly surprised that my Navionics ipad app started tracking depth data provided by the iKommunicate unit after enabling the “Broadcast to UDP port 2000”. I had no idea that woud be the outcome of that setting, and I certainly did not enter any IP addresses in the Navionics app to where this should fetch the data. Now I might start surveying the seabottom whenever I am out with my boat

Good luck with the coding.

Best Regards
    Carl

tmcdonagh
    Participant

Has this issue been addressed?

Thanks,

Tom

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed