no leds on power on

Home Forums Report a Bug or Issue no leds on power on

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TomS 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

TomS
    Participant

the unit worked fine when commissioned.
    firmware was updated and also reported ok on its webpage.

last power up it suddenly failed to show any leds when powered up. after finding a note on a webpage relaing to the internal leds I can see that led 3,4 and 5 are very dimly lit.
    there has been one incident where a couple of them very briefly lit up, but that was anisolated event.
    led 3,4 and 5 continue to light up very dimly when powered up.
    I have tried and measured two separate power supplies – same behaviour.

any suggestions?

TomS
    Participant

In the spirit of making the fix known too once it presents itself just a quick note:

There were some references in similar circumstances (although not identical I felt) I have taken a new SD card, formatted same with Fat32, downloaded the latest software and bingo: iKommunicate after a few stutters booted up just as it should.
    Strange, that there was not even a power on indication prior to this when connected to 12V.
    In any event, could not be happier that things are back on track…

Paul Sumpner
    Keymaster

Thanks very much for this feedback, it is an odd one as iKommunicate should power up and flash the internal LEDs if there is a problem reading the SD Card, not stop in this “limbo” state with the three dim yellow LEDs, which usually indicates the microprocessor is not booting properly.

Best regards

PAUL

TomS
    Participant

Thank you Paul for your comment. The network on the boat is now active and I tried firing up the iKommunicate device again; I am having the same issue. Have not tried yet to reinstall the software once again but will report back once done.

TomS

TomS
    Participant

Hi Paul,

I have now tried everything I can think of to coax the unit to power up. While the LEDs have flashed a couple of times when the power is switched on, on almost all occasions the unit only activates LED 3,4 and 5 which are only very dimly lit while power is applied with no further action.
    This is the same fault as reported earlier in the year (above).
    Can I send the unit somewhere for repair?

Paul Sumpner
    Keymaster

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems. I thought when you got it to power up previously that everything would be OK, but perhaps there is an intermittent fault somewhere.

Please return your iKommunicate with a short note explaining the nature of the fault and that you have been in communication with me.

It is important that you include a daytime contact number and of course the return address where you would like us to send it back to. If you need to have the unit back within a certain time frame please highlight this and we will do our best to achieve it, but we cannot guarantee to meet all requested deadlines.

The address to return the equipment to is…

Digital Yacht Limited
    6 Farleigh Court,
    Old Weston Rd,
    Flax Bourton,
    Bristol
    BS48 1UR
    United Kingdom

Tel: + 44 (0) 117 955 4474

IMPORTANT – if you are returning equipment from outside the European Union, please mark on the Shipping paperwork that this is “Faulty Yacht Equipment, returned to UK manufacturer for repair” and state a low value of $25 USD to avoid any delays in customs and additional import charges.

TomS
    Participant

Dear Paul,
    Thank you for your continued support. The unit has arrived back in Australia – I will not have an opportunity to install it for a couple of weeks.
    Could you let me know what the problem was – I am quite interested in particular if anything I have done/should have done contributed the problem.

Paul Sumpner
    Keymaster

Hi Tom,

We replaced the PCB as the Atmel processor refused to run the bootloader and so we could not reflash it. We have had a small number of this type of failure and it is really frustrating as we just have to scrap the PCBs. We contacted Atmel but nothing useful was gleaned and replacing the processor is really difficult and risky even with the right tools.

So I don’t think it is something you have done.

Best regards

PAUL

TomS
    Participant

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your message and once again also for fixing the problem.

I commend you and your company for being candid, the speed of your responses and the assistance given once it was clear I could not sort out the issue myself. A+

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed